March 28 2024 13:32:35
Navigation
View Thread
Hoop Fetish » Hoop Earrings » Hoop Fashion
 Print Thread
Heavy hoops
disintegrator
I was wondering if anybody has come across a picture of a girl wearing really heavy hoops. Would be grateful for links or pictures Smile

LoveLobes
No Pics or links, im afraid. You like the look of heavy hoops then??

Robert Likeglass
There are many such pictures on this site, but it may take time as there is quite a collection here! Heavy hoops can be fun to watch because of all the interaction Cool but the wearer needs to exercise some caution and common sense. (well healed piercings, only for a few hours, no break dancing Wink )

hlover
There are a lot on here if you look hard enough. Eventually I'll get around to writing a tagging system that will make these things easier!

gold_earrings
i bought a pair of thick tubular hoops last week and they are quite heavy, i love them alot but dont enjoy wearing them as of yet due to the weight Sad

Robert Likeglass
People forget how earring weight multiplies up. An earring that weighs 1/4 an ounce seems like it is pretty light, but that would be per square inch. The earwire only goes through about 1/4 inch of lobe and is only about 1/30 inch wide. That works out to 30 ounces of downward force! (in PSI) That's why people who wear gauged earrings can wear super heavy earrings. If the earwire is 1/15th of an inch, the same earring only produces 15 ounces of force. An 1/8 inch eyelet would cut that in half again. It's actually amazing how much an ear will support- There is a circus performer that lifts car batteries with his ears Shock , of course he has 3/8 inch eyelets, but it still works out to a lot of weight!

LHJ

Robert Likeglass wrote:light, but that would be per square inch. The earwire only goes through about 1/4 inch of lobe and is only about 1/30 inch wide. That works out to 30 ounces of downward force! (in PSI) That's why people who wear gauged earrings can wear super heavy earrings.

True, there should be a market for big hoops that fits slightly stretched earlobe piercings such as 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) or maybe somewhat smaller like 2.0 mm (5/64 inch).

Robert Likeglass
Even with normal piercings thicker is better. This is why people moved from the old thin gauge kidney wires and moved to the thicker French hooks. Hoops with flip backs that use a thick post are easier on the ear then thinner endless hoops. Even on such a small scale, the more you can distribute the weight, the lighter the earrings will feel.

LHJ
I didn't know that standard earring wires had got thicker, but as you say it ought to be good for heavier jewellery. Besides, wearing big earrings stretches the holes somewhat automatically.

Have you measured the wires (std & french hooks)? Is 20 ga (0.8 mm) the "standard" measure? If you pierce your ears at a piercing studio, they seem to do it at 14 ga (1.6 mm).

mybook
[deleted by moderator]
Edited by hlover on 10-03-2010 05:19

ashleydaniel
I have very heavy hoops my dad give me on my birthday, but it's a little heavy, so I only wear it when I go for any party and events.

Jump to Forum
Sign In
Enter Username

Password

Not a member yet? Click here to register.

Forgot Password?